Select Page

We bought a new computer a few months ago, which we shipped down here . . . but unfortunately the monitor didn’t arrive along with everything else. For a while, I had the old computer and the new set up side-by-side, and switched the monitor back and forth when I needed to switch computers. I also had to switch the modem from one to the other, when I needed to access the internet. It was a royal pain, and eventually we just stopped using the new computer, and did everything on the old one.

The old computer, however, is awfully slow and getting slower. If we keep adding photos and info onto this machine, it’s going to throw up it’s virtual hands in surrender, and work no more. We needed to do something. With all of our important correspondence and other info, including tons of photos, on the old computer, we knew we would need to continue to access that machine even after the new one was set up.

This week Allen was able to purchase a used flat screen monitor locally, and today is the day I’m going to try to get both computers set up. The old computer will be moved to a new, less accessible location (where we can still use it as needed, but it won’t be in the way), and then the old computer desk will be thoroughly emptied, cleaned, and re-leveled (our floors aren’t level, so we have shims under the desk, to try to keep it level). The timing is good – now that the flying termites have done their thing, we can get all of the bug parts out from behind and under the computer desk while we clean out all of the accumulated dust and debris that is always to be found behind furniture that isn’t easily moved. The computer desk hasn’t been moved (and therefore hasn’t been cleaned under and behind) since we moved to our property, over 2 years ago.

The very first part of the work is decluttering, organizing, and cleaning the desk in Allen’s bedroom, where we’ll be putting the old computer. That spot has been a catch-all for a while, so this is going to be a big task!

I’m hoping to get a lot of this multi-phase project done today, so that we can quickly be back online. This is not what I expected to write about today – I was going to explain what it takes to clean bug parts out of your entire house. However, bug parts don’t all get removed in a day (though they did all get there in one day), and this project will certainly involve cleaning up lots of bug parts, so I guess it’s not too much of a departure!